The TELETHON GENERAL GRANT 2020 call is aimed at funding research projects focused on rare genetic diseases, conducted by researchers working in Italian public or private non-profit research institutions. The length of the projects can range from one to three years; only projects involving a single research center will be admitted and a request up to 80 thousand euro/year will be allowed. Principal Investigator’s salary coverage request will not be admitted (except for the Telethon Career Award and FPS/FT opportunities, see below).
Projects focusing on the following diseases will not be eligible:
• Multiple sclerosis
• Acquired immunodeficiency
• Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
• Multifactorial diseases
The call includes two additional funding opportunities:
1. The TELETHON CAREER AWARD opportunity in support of young researchers proposing – as principal investigator - innovative projects in the field of rare genetic diseases and with the need of a salary coverage. The call is open to researchers with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 7 years experience since completion of the PhD (or specialization for medical degree)*. The project will provide salary coverage for the entire length of the project for an amount of maximum 40 thousand euro/year, plus a maximum budget of 80 thousand euro/year for research expenses for three years.
2. The Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza /Telethon Foundation (FPS/FT) funding opportunity aims to attract researchers willing to join the scientific community of the Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza and proposing innovative projects in the field of neurological and/or cardiovascular rare genetic diseases. The call is open to researchers of all levels of seniority demonstrating the ability to formulate and conduct an independent research line in synergy with the scientific activities of FPS. The budget will provide salary coverage for the principal investigator for the entire length of the project (to be established based on the seniority of the researcher), plus a maximum budget of 80 thousand euro / year for research expenses and for three years. The Host Institute must be the Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza ONLUS.
At completion of the Project, the researcher will be evaluated by the FPS internal Scientific Committe for possible recruitment within the FPS research staff. For more information, you can contact Dr. Leopoldo Laricchia Robbio (Chief Operating Officer of Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza ONLUS, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Phase II opening
Researchers whose Letters ofIintent have been positively evaluated by the Telethon Scientific Committee will be invited to fill in the Full Application starting from September 30th 2020.
Submission deadline for Full Applicaiton: October 30th 2020 at 1.00 p.m.
The final evaluation of the Projects will take place by mid-February 2021.
Important Notice for the submission of the Full Application
Once completed, the Full Application must be before the final submission validated by an Approver of the Host Institution (Organisation Approver) selected by the Applicanti while compiling the online Application. The Approver will receive an automatic email sent by the platform and will have to register in the Tetra portal to confirm the role as Approver and to Validate the Full Application once completed by the Applicant. The deadline October 30th 2020 at 1.00 p.m in intended for the Approval of the Application by the Organisation Approver.
Important Notice for the TELETHON CAREER AWARD Applicants
Fondazione Telethon will provide salary coverage for the entire project duration (3 years), for an amount of maximum 40,000 €/year – Salary request for the Lead Applicant has NOT to be specified in the Budget section; it will be added on top ex officio after the submission
The Call, the Guidelines for the Applicants and the Full Application sample in pdf format are available below on this web page and on the TeTra portal at https://projects.telethon.it.
Full Application Evaluation
Below you can find the guidelines for the evaluation of the Full Applications for the members of the Telethon Scientific Committee and for the external reviewers.
* PhD obtained from January 1 ,2013 to December 31, 2017 (included)
The eligibility period can be extended in the following cases (provided they occurred before the opening of the call, i.e. 30/06/2020):
- Maternity leave: 18 months extension for each child born before or after obtaining the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Paternity leave: extension equal to the period of parental leave used for each child born before or after obtaining the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Illness: extension equal to the leave of absence of the researcher, valid for each disease event that occurred after the date of achievement of the PhD (documentation required in case of funding)
- Clinical training: extension equal to the period of training received by the researcher after obtaining the appropriate qualification and up to a maximum of 4 years (documentation required in case of funding).